WSAVA, the World Small Animal Veterinary Association, is made up of 200,000 vets across 113 organizations. Their goal is to promote the health and wellbeing of companion animals by encouraging vets and pet parents to make smart choices when it comes to their food. Before you pour anything into your pup’s bowl, make sure to dig into their criteria.
Here's how Jinx meets WSAVA guidelines:
Do you employ a qualified nutritionist? Who formulates your foods and what are his/her credentials?
Jinx employs a certified pet nutritionist and team of veterinarians that validate the safety and quality of our products. During formulation, we worked with industry-leading animal nutritionists, formulators, manufacturing partners, and regulatory experts with more than 115+ years of combined experience to produce high-quality dog food options. The Jinx Nutrition Council guarantees that our recipes are formulated to meet the nutritional needs of a modern dog to optimize their health and overall longevity.
Are your recipes formulated to AAFCO recommendations? Do they meet AAFCO nutrient profiles by formulation or by analysis of the finished product?
While AAFCO serves as a great baseline, our kibble recipes are formulated not just to meet the minimum standards, but to exceed them. Our recipes are complete and balanced, meaning they provide your dog the right amounts, in the right proportions, of every single nutrient that their body needs. Every day, every meal, every bite.
Where are your foods produced and manufactured?
Our products are manufactured in the U.S. We vetted dozens of facilities across the U.S. to find partners who have impressive manufacturing capabilities and who also uphold the same quality standards and values as we do. We would never put something on a shelf that we wouldn’t feed our own dogs. We are thrilled to be partnering with top dogs with decades of manufacturing experience and stringent Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) certifications to produce premium food options for the modern dog.
Do you have strict quality controls in place?
Food safety and nutritional quality are our top focus. We have rigorous product development and testing processes to ensure Jinx is producing premium dog food and exceeds the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) standards for pet food. We are committed to continually investing in new technology and ongoing research to drive improvement.
Here’s how we ensure our food is safe:
(1) Formulation - Jinx worked with the best animal scientists, formulators, veterinarians nutritionists, regulatory specialists, and manufacturing partners to meticulously craft a series of dog food products best suited for the modern dog.
(2) Ingredients - Along with our manufacturing partners, Jinx follows strict selection criteria to identify accredited suppliers that can help us maintain our best-in-class quality and safety standards. We have a comprehensive audit process to determine the nutritional value, production quality, traceability, and sustainability.
(3) Manufacturing - We vetted dozens of factories across the US and landed on Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) certified manufacturing partners that upheld the same standards and values as we do. We’ve teamed up with each of our manufacturing partners to establish controls and processes for everything, including facility maintenance, sanitation and pest control, employee training, in-house sampling and lab analysis, preparation of meat and ingredients, manufacturing, packaging, warehousing, and distribution.
(4) Product Release - Before any new product is released into the wild, it goes through a quality assurance control program to ensure that the diet meets the guaranteed analysis as stated on our labels. Additionally, safety tests are conducted both internally and through an independent, third-party lab for pathogens (e.g., Salmonella). All products are held and do not leave the facility until they are cleared by the lab results.
(5) Packaging & Warehousing - Our finished product is packaged in premium polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bags with an inside lining that is designed to keep food fresh. Our finished products are warehoused in a facility with food-grade sanitation and product controls until they are delivered to customers.
(6) Traceability - Each product has unique coding that allows us to identify and trace it from formulation, ingredient supplier, manufacturing to distribution.
Are all dry recipes complete and balanced to life stage?
Yes, our diets are 100% complete and balanced and are formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
Are Nutrient Profiles available?
Yes, Nutrient Profiles are available upon request.
What is the caloric value of your food?
Caloric values can be found on our website for each recipe or are available upon request.
What kind of research has been conducted?
Extensive proprietary research is conducted on Jinx products before our recipes are commercialized. We ensure they meet high standards for digestibility, palatability, and stool performance. We have also conducted research focused on key nutrient levels and total protein and fat digestibility. AAFCO sets and establishes levels of nutrient profile requirements we must meet, and we’re committed to exceeding those expectations.
Photo Cred: Alvan Nee